Snow Day!

I really needed a longer winter vacation, so when the snowstorm hit the East Coast this past week and “forced” me to stay home, I was thrilled, though I still think I should be allowed to hibernate until March. The roaring sound of the wind scared Cricket when Mom took her out for her first pee of the morning, but when I woke up I took her out again, pulling her through the deep snowdrift at the front door, and then she got into the spirit of the day.

cricket chases the leaf

“That leaf is mine!”

There’s something about a snowstorm that brings out the kid in me. Or the Cricket in me. Even with the snow swirling, and thirty mile per hour winds, Cricket and I went outside over and over again. I stepped into a three foot snowdrift, thinking there would be stairs somewhere under there, and just laughed when I fell into the snow. I tried to make snowballs for Cricket, but the snow was so powdery that it split apart as soon as I threw it, making little snow explosions over her head, which she desperately tried to catch with her mouth.

Cricket 4

This time she caught the snowball with her whole face.

I need a snow suit like Cricket’s though, because my loafers and yoga pants did not stand up well to the snowdrifts and, after a few short play periods in the snow, I needed a long defrosting break indoors. Cricket and I took a long afternoon nap to recover from our snow traipsing, and Mom made bone soup with lentils and carrots to keep us fortified, and then we went back out into the snow again.

Cricket 9

Cricket 7

Cricket 12

When I woke up the day after the snowstorm, the sun was shining and the roads were clear, and I realized how much I missed the drama of the wind and snow and everyone trapped indoors, marveling at the spectacle. In my next life, I would like to come back as a dog, with a furry coat like Cricket’s and a very understanding family. And I’d like to live somewhere far north, where it snows for half of the year, and I can go romping and playing and burying myself in the snow drifts until I’m so exhausted that all I want to do is eat treats and sleep in front of the fireplace, until the next adventure.

Fingers crossed that it will snow again on Monday!

Cricket 3

“Is it Monday yet?”

1. Terrific photos of Cricket!

2. Yes! I too so love being “snowed in.” I made the mistake this time of going to work, and just barely made it home, as my “SUV” did not fare well trying to plow down my private drive in 8 -10 inches of snow. Lesson learned. Next time, Lulu and I will spend the day like Cricket!

3. Buddy hasn’t embraced the snow over here. It’s kind of gritty and slushy with bits of frozen. Whenever he steps into it, he starts to hobble. When he reaches a slushy section, he lifts up his left hind leg and begins limping. The first time he did that I panicked thinking he stepped in something sharp. After I cleaned off his paws and inspected them, he began walking normally again, lol. *sigh* He’s a high maintenance dog now…

4. Fun! Cricket at her best.🐾🐾

5. Love reading about a happy dog and her owner playing in the snow.
    Thanks, gives me a nice cool feeling about life. Cheers for the soup, no snow in NZ, just muggy rain for the last two days, the weather is a bit cooler this morning.

6. Unbelievable weather! These pups are so cute. On the news I saw a doggie that would pull his own sled to the top of the snow hill get on slide down then repeat. Just like kids!

7. Cricket is why snow was made!! I’m happy y’all had so much fun 😊

8. I forgot you have to head back to school. May it go well. Cricket will miss the romps. Our Aussie has slowed down enough that she doesn’t bite at and play in the snow as much. We had 12” here which admittedly is hard to move through. Peace.

9. The action shots of Cricket are so much fun! Didn’t you feel like a kid off school on a snow day?! This was a great read, Rachel.

10. Rachel! Loafers and yoga pants?!?!?!? Do you know how many socks I put on to go out to shovel. Three on each foot. I would have done four, but my boots wouldn’t allow that many.

11. Those photos of Cricket had me howling! That is the image of pure joy.

12. What a fun romp you two had — then to come in to the fragrance of a warm winter soup — heaven!

13. Looks like fun to me…

14. Wow! Cricket sure is having a great time in these photos. I can see why you both needed a rest.

15. Oh, that looks like so much fun! Our two love the snow also, running in the back yard, following rabbit trails, digging in the dead garden debris looking for rabbits and mice, and coming in caked with snow, when it’s the soggy sort, up to the tops of their heads. So happy that you and Cricket can enjoy the snow storms. 😀

16. Braving the snow Cricket? Love your photos.

17. Grew up along the Hudson and went to school in Connecticut. This message from Arizona, “NO WAY”.

18. She’s having so much fun. Great photos 🙂

19. You can have our snow and cold. We’ve had zero degrees and minus 17 Wind-Chills. Brrr.. I’d love to hibernate until April, but would rather be down in Florida soaking up the sun. Stay warm..🙋🐦

20. Cricket looks so happy! We’ve only had a few day of snow here, and nothing that deep. There is nothing better than playing in snow. I can recommend sale price skiing gear for playing in snow, and thermals for sitting around the house when it’s cold.

21. Wonderful photos of Cricket. My cat Sid also goes romping through the snow in the garden.

22. Great action shots Rachel, snow zoomies are so much fun! 😉💨💨

23. Great action shots Rachel – I cut and pasted this from whippetwisdom, because that is exactly what I was going to say 🙂

24. Wow, it looks like you are both having a great time!

25. Seeing the positives in bad weather. Something I try hard to do almost every day. Great to see Cricket having so much fun!

26. Wonderful photos, captured the her essence. I build a snowman like a kid!

27. Rachel your post has me grinning like an idiot and saying “ME TOO!” I get the same way on the rare occasion we get snow here! Snow angels YESH! Cricket looks so happy! Yes, in the next life we will be furry winter dogs lol. Hugs to you all there.

28. I love the pictures. Happy New Year Rachel.

29. Oh, so wonderful to see Cricket playing in the snow Rachel. She’s such a sweetheart.

30. Awesome photos! It sounds like a lot of fun over there! Momar and I have never seen snow before but yet, we were planning on making a trip to Tahoe at some point. Have fun in the snow! Tula

31. theadventuresofdoodlepip

Great Post – oh how l wish we had , had snow here, we had a sprinkling and then ‘poof’ it was gone. 🙂

32. We have been below 0 here so my girls go out do what they need to and limp as fast as they can back to the door. With lifting of paws as only a couple minutes brings pain to their paws. The German Shepards being to withstand this a little longer than my Pit Bulls. I like that Cricket was able to have fun in your snowstorm. The pictures are just lovely. However my furbabies need more outside time so I hope this biting ,freezing cold will go away. I am not wishing for more snow at least until after I move this coming weekend.

33. May the snow fly and the soup warm you when it does.

34. This made me smile here in FL…cold without the snow for this past week.

35. Very cute! But I can do without the snow, and my dogs HATE it. Between the cold and the snow they haven’t been outside in weeks!

36. What fun, though it does sound like you could use a good snowsuit.

37. Love the pictures and images of Cricket playing in the snow, you made me smile to see her joy. I hope it snows for you on Monday again.

38. How wonderful you love to play in the snow with Cricket. Maybe get a pair of snow boots, though, and some warmer pants!

39. I absolutely feel you and Crickets joy! Leaping and falling, laughing and playing in your snowy wonderland! And your photos just “blow me away!” Chase me Cricket! I’m a leaf, I’m a leaf!!!!
    Thank you for this trip! I really miss the snow, It has been too many years since I have experienced any! I think it makes the world such a quiet and glistening palace!

40. by the way, It is not 1:35 in the morning here… it’s actually 8:36 pm, and still January 7th… Curiouser, and curiouser…

41. I Love the pictures of your fun dog.

42. Happy Happy snow dog! love it

43. Someone loves the snow!! Lol Great photos.

44. I feel the joy – and the love!!! These pictures are fabulous…

45. She is so adorable!!